Identity Theft Contact Log
Dealing with the problems that result from identity theft can be frustrating, time-consuming and difficult. However, by being organized, you can succeed in taking back your life. For this reason, we have created a Contact Log so that you can record the steps you have taken to report the fraudulent use of your identity. Keep this list in a safe place for reference. Also, here are some quick tips for organizing your case.
Be sure to keep accurate and complete records. These will help you to resolve your identity theft case more quickly.
Have a plan. When you contact a company, do not assume that the person you talk to will give you all the information or help you need. Do not hang up unless you are sure you understand everything you have been told, and, if necessary, prepare a list of questions to ask the representative. If you need more help, ask to speak to a supervisor.
Write down the name of everyone you talk to, what he or she tells you, and the date the conversation occurred. Use the sample contact log to record your inofrmation.
- Follow up in writing with all contacts you have made on the phone or in person. Use certified mail, return receipt requested, so you can document what the company or organization received and when.
- Keep copies of all correspondence or forms you send.
- Keep the originals of supporting documents, including police reports and letters to and from creditors. Send copies only.
- Set up a filing system for easy access to your paperwork.
- Keep old files even if you believe your case is closed. Once resolved, most cases stay resolved, but problems can crop up.