The Health Care Section helps Pennsylvanians secure the treatment they need, protects the public from unfair health care business practices, and helps shape Pennsylvania health care policies in favor of consumers.
Aimed at protecting the public from unfair health care practices and helping to shape Pennsylvania policy in favor of the consumer, the Health Care Section will:
- Help consumers get around barriers to proper health care;
- Investigate cases where consumers are denied needed care or reimbursement;
- Investigate unduly delayed payment by insurers for health care services provided;
- Advise the Governor and the Legislature on consumer health care issues;
- Assist in developing policies and proposed legislation to protect the consumer in the health care arena.
While the Health Care Section investigates, mediates and takes legal action on behalf of consumers against health care organizations that are involved in unfair and deceptive practices, it does not act as a personal attorney. However, complaints of deceptive practices may spur an investigation and possible legal action. If the Attorney General believes investigation of a dispute is in the public interest, such an investigation may include your individual complaint.