HARRISBURG — Attorney General Michelle Henry announced charges against a nurse who allegedly neglected and mistreated a resident at a Harrisburg skilled nursing facility.
Eliut Lopez Enriquez, 56, was taken into custody Tuesday, charged with felony and misdemeanor counts of neglect of a care-dependent person, abuse of a care-dependent person, and simple assault following a presentment approved by the 49th Statewide Investigating Grand Jury. He is to be arraigned at a later time.
According to the investigation, Lopez Enriquez assaulted the 80-year-old male resident while changing his wound dressings on March 17, 2022, at The Gardens at Blue Ridge in Susquehanna Township. Nurse Lopez Enriquez assaulted the patient, which caused him extreme pain and a substantial risk of infection. The victim was subsequently hospitalized for multiple medical conditions before passing away on May 5, 2022.
“The defendant was supposed to care for his patient and relieve his pain, but instead mistreated him and took deliberate action which caused more harm,” Attorney General Henry said. “My office has no tolerance for providers who violate their duty of care and put our most vulnerable residents at risk. These charges are a reminder that caretakers are responsible for treating their patients with dignity and respect for their wellbeing.”
This case will be prosecuted by Deputy Attorney General Lishani S. Sunday. All charges are accusations. The defendant is innocent unless and until proven guilty.
The Pennsylvania Medicaid Fraud Control Unit receives 75 percent of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award totaling $9,781,180 for the Federal fiscal year (FY) 2023. The remaining 25 percent, totaling $3,260,392 for FY 2023, is funded by Pennsylvania.
# # #